Memory foam was originally developed by NASA to protect astronauts from the rigors of re-entering Earth’s atmosphere. You’re not hitting the G-forces when you hit the hay, but you’ll still benefit from the cushioning and support that memory foam offers. It is a particularly good option if you have trouble sleeping due to hip, back, or upper body pain.
DreamFoam Bedding Gel Swirl Memory Foam Mattress Topper is a two-inch thick memory foam cushion with gel. The gel, which gives the mattress protector a garment-dyed appearance, helps prevent the build-up of body heat in the memory foam. It’s a welcome innovation, considering that “sleeping warm” is the number one complaint about memory foam products in general.
This isn’t the densest memory foam on the market, but it’s not super soft either. It is right. It reaches the sweet spot of enough support to keep the spine, body, and pressure points comfortable, without too much of a “sag” feeling that can be a problem with overly soft memory foam.
The topper is made in the USA and is CertiPUR-US certified, which means it does not contain harmful chemicals such as ozone depleting agents, heavy metals, formaldehyde, lead, or phosphates.
Our Top Pick
No products found.
10 Best Office Chair Review
- ☑ PACKAGE CONTENT- 1 Mattress Padding/Topper ☑ PRODUCT THICKNESS- 2 Inches (Approx-over sustained use, settles to 1.5"inches) ☑ SIZE- Queen Size(60"x78")5ft x 6.5ft
- ☑ OUTER MATERIAL- 110 GSM Polyester ☑ FILLING MATERIAL-500 GSM Hollowfiber (Polyester) ☑ COLOR - Grey
- ☑ FITT ON- Up to 12 Inches Mattress ☑ CORNER BANDS- 4 Corner elastic anchor bands to hold topper in place.
- ☑ EXTRA COMFORT- Adds an extra layer of softness to your bed. Provides you gentle support.
- ☑ SKIN FRIENDLY- Micro Polyester surface will absorb sweat. ☑ CARE INSTRUCTIONS- Do Not Wash. Dry Clean Only.
- Package Content : 1 Mattress Topper / Padding | Thickness : 2.5" inches (After settle down it goes upto - 2"-1.75")
- 【Hypoallergenic and Antimicrobial】-without the poking or allergies, the mattress pad can not only keep your mattress free of stains, but prevent exposure to dust mites and other potential allergens, offering sweet nights without runny eyes or stuffy noses.
- 【HIGH STRETCH Stretchable Anchor Band】- power band elastic ensures a secure fit and grip on any mattresses and is perfect for power bases.The elastic fabric band will fit up perfectly to 6-18’’ mattress.
- 【SUPPER SOFT】- With an ultra soft shell made of the finest 100% Microfiber and lofty Down Alternative Polyfill, this mattress topper excels in comfort.Enjoy a great nights sleep and protect your mattress
- 【Machine Washable】-The baffle box construction, crafted with double needle stitching, prevents our fill from shifting. This beautiful mattress topper is machine washable, and can be tumble dried on low heat to re-fluff. We recommend removing all bedding promptly from dryer to reduce any wrinkling. IMPORTANT INSTRUCTION : Keep in sunlight once in 3 months.
- ☑ PACKAGE CONTENT- 1 Mattress Padding/Topper ☑ PRODUCT THICKNESS- 2 Inches (Approx-over sustained use, settles to 1.5"inches)☑ SIZE - Queen(60x78inch)5ft x 6.5ft
- ☑ OUTER MATERIAL- 100 GSM Polyster ☑ FILLING MATERIAL-500 GSM Hollowfiber (Polyester) ☑ COLOR - White
- ☑ FITT ON- Up to 12 Inches Mattress ☑ CORNER BANDS- 4 Corner elastic anchor bands to hold topper in place
- ☑ EXTRA COMFORT- Adds an extra layer of softness to your bed. Provides you gentle support.
- ☑ CARE INSTRUCTIONS- Do Not Wash. Dry Clean Only.
- Down-alternative mattress topper with microfiber shell
- Adds a layer of extra softness to your bed
- Protects your mattress from damage
- Hypoallergenic construction repels dust and allergens
- Machine washable
- Available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King sizes
- Package Content : 1 Mattress Topper / Padding | Thickness : 2.5" inches (After settle down it goes upto - 2"-1.75")
- Size : 72X78(Inches)182X198(CM)6X6.5(Feet),Color: Show in image,GSM:700,Closure Type : Pull On, Fabric Type : Microfiber Cotton
- HIGH STRETCH Stretchable Anchor Band - power band elastic ensures a secure fit and grip on any mattresses and is perfect for power bases.The elastic fabric band will fit up perfectly to 6-18’’ mattress.
- Hypoallergenic and Antimicrobia : without the poking or allergies, the mattress pad can not only keep your mattress free of stains, but prevent exposure to dust mites and other potential allergens, offering sweet nights without runny eyes or stuffy noses.
- Machine Washable -The baffle box construction, crafted with double needle stitching, prevents our fill from shifting. This beautiful mattress topper is machine washable, and can be tumble dried on low heat to re-fluff. We recommend removing all bedding promptly from dryer to reduce any wrinkling.
- Size Of Topper- Length- 78 Inch / 6.5 Feet / 198.12 CM , Width- 72 Inch / 6 Feet / 182.88 CM, Thickness- Fit Upto 10 Inch Mattress. Note- Please check your mattress dimenssions before purchase mattress topper/padding.
- Package Contents: 1 Mattress Topper | OUTER MATERIAL- 110 GSM Polycotton ☑ FILLING MATERIAL-500 GSM Microfiber (Polyester)
- Fit Up to 12 Inches Mattress | CORNER BANDS- 4 Corner elastic anchor bands to hold topper in place | EXTRA COMFORT- Adds an extra layer of softness to your bed. Provides you gentle support.
- Easy Care and clean: The topper is removable from the top; hence it takes very less effort for anybody to remove it and wash it whenever required.
- Wash Care Instructions: Upto 40C Machine wash on gentle mode, Hand Wash with cold water, Do not iron, Do not Dryclean, Do not Bleach.
- Product Dimensions(In Inch): Length 72 X Width 36 X Height 2 | The Topper Comes With Free Inner Cover That Will Potect Your Topper From Dust Particle And Any Other Things
- 7 Targeted Comfort Zones: The 7-Zone Design Of This Queen Mattress Topper Alleviates Pressure On Body Contact Points Including The Head, Shoulders, Back, Waist, Hips, Legs, And Feet To Provide Targeted Comfort For Any Sleeping Position.
- Cooling Gel-Infused: The Memory Foam Topper Is Infused With Cooling Gel To Disperse Heat And Improve Airflow For Exceptional Breathability. The Cooling Gel Memory Foam Bed Topper Is Perfect For Hot Sleepers Who Need Great Cooling Comfort.
- Comfort And Support Balance: This Cool Memory Foam Mattress Topper Delivers Contoured Support At A Medium-Firm Level To Cradle Pressure Points And Help Reduce Back Discomfort For Better Quality And Consistent Sleep.
- Better Family Choice: This 7 Zoned Memory Foam Mattress Topper Is Made Of Gel Beads Material To Be Skin-Friendly And Free Of Unpleasant Odors. The Thick 2” High-Density Foam Ensures Long-Lasting Durability.
- Upgrade Your Sleep Comfort: Our Foam Mattress Topper Is An Instant Upgrade That Adds Luxury And Longer Life To Any Mattress. The Bed Topper Can Be Cut To Size For Perfect Fit In Any Space Or Occasion, Including Dorms, Camping Tents, Sofa Beds, Rv And More. Come With A 3 Year Warranty.
- Package Contents: 1 Quilted Mattress Topper 1000 GSM
- Size-36 Inch X 78 Inch |3 ft x 6.6 ft | Color-Dark Blue
- ELASTIC STRAPS on all 4 corners to provide a good fit
- BAFFLE BOX STITCHED to keep the filling equally spread into square pockets
- Gentle Wash
- 72" X 78" King Size Navy Blue Colored Mattress Topper | Package Contents: 1 Mattress Topper | Thickness: 2.25-2.5"thick and over sustained use, settle
- IMPORTED SUPER MICRO FIBRE FILLING that provides gentle but ample support. The topper is considered to be superiour than memory foam as it has no odour.
- BAFFLE BOX STITCHED to keep the filling equally spread into square pockets.
- ELASTIC STRAPS on all 4 corners to provide a good fit
- Brand : Rajasthan Crafts
- Package Contents: 1 Piece 500 GSM Mattress Padding/Topper 60"X75" | 5ft x 6.25ft | Color- Grey, Note- Please check your mattress dimension before purchase mattress topper/padding
- Soft & Comfortable Sleep - This super soft mattress topper with fiberfill has additional loft that provides extra comfortable sleep and extra cushioning, that will upgrade yor quality of sleep; the elastic straps all around secures the padding into position.
- Cool and Breathable : This mattress topper is breathable and the quality microfiber top makes the surface feel cooling and breathable, it will wick away any moisture or sweat, provide you a cozy and breathable sleeping environment.
- Extra Comfort - Adds an extra layer of softness to your bed. Provides you gentle support.
- Machine Washable : This Mattress Protector is Machine Washable and Durable, under gentle cycle with cold water, tumble dry low.
What’s the best mattress topper?
We think the best mattress protector for most people is the Tempur-Pedic Tempur Supreme. This luxurious foam-based topper is three inches deep, with a removable, washable cover, and it boasts an impressive average of 4.6 out of 5 stars from over 3,500 user reviews. It normally starts from $299, but often has up to a 40% discount at Tempur-Pedic.)
However, the right mattress topper for you depends on why you need it. If you want your bed to be softer and more luxurious, consider a feather down topper. If you need extra support, a foam mattress topper is a good option. Do you overheat at night? Look for a mattress topper with advanced cooling properties – we’ve got plenty of those here.
Whichever option you choose, it’s also a good idea to pick up the best mattress protector you can afford while you’re at it, to keep your topper fresh. Here’s our pick of the best mattress toppers you can buy in the US.
Buying Guide – How to Shop for a Mattress Topper
A topper can provide additional comfort to sleepers who are unsatisfied with the comfort layer of the current mattress. Toppers are removable by design, though some simply lay on top of the mattress while others can be tucked beneath fitted sheets. Different types of toppers sold today include memory foam, wool, latex, convoluted foam, and feather models (also known as feather beds), although price and availability vary by type.
This page will look at what toppers do, pros and cons of using them, and some distinctive characteristics of each topper type, as well as tips for adding and maintaining optimal comfort levels.
What is a Mattress Topper?
A mattress topper is simply defined as any separate layer of cushioning that can be added or removed from the top surface of a mattress.
Toppers are primarily used to provide extra comfort as well as adjusting the firmness of the sleep surface. They may also serve other purposes, such as alleviating pain and pressure or cooling the bed.
In addition to primary beds, mattress toppers can be used in RVs, hotels, college dorms, guest beds, or sofas.
Who Should Consider a Mattress Topper?
A mattress topper is typically most suitable in the following situations:
The mattress is too firm. The topper can create a softer, more comfortable sleeping experience for individuals who prefer less firm surfaces.
The sleeper has no control over the sleep surface they use. Toppers can provide more comfort — and in some cases, support — for people sleeping in college dormitories, hotels, long-term care facilities, and other away-from-home accommodations.
The mattress on an RV bed is not comfortable enough. RV beds often feature cheaper mattress models that offer minimal comfort and support, and toppers can significantly optimize these sleep surfaces.
The sleeper is staying at a different residence. Toppers are ideal for guest beds, sofas, and other sleep surfaces that are normally reserved for overnight visitors (and may not be as comfortable as the guest’s primary bed).
A couple has different comfort preferences. In the absence of a dual-firmness mattress, a topper can modify one side of the mattress for couples who prefer different sleep surfaces.
Mattress Topper v. Mattress Pad
The terms ‘mattress topper’ and ‘mattress pad‘ are often used interchangeably, but these are actually distinct products with different characteristics and uses. The table below breaks down the main differences between toppers and pads.
|Product||Mattress Topper||Mattress Pad|
|Primary Purpose||Toppers are designed to add an extra comfort to the mattress||Pads are designed to protect mattresses from stains and contaminants|
|Material Composition||Toppers may be made from an assortment of different materials, including memory foam, latex, wool, feathers, or fibers||Most pads are made from fibers like cotton or polyester|
|Thickness||Some topper types, such as memory foam and latex, come in varying thicknesses to accommodate different sleepers. Other types may be limited in terms of thickness options||Thickness options are fairly limited for pads, and most are fairly thin|
|Application||Toppers may rest freely on top of the mattress surface, or they may be tucked beneath fitted sheets||Most mattress pads are designed to be tucked beneath sheets, and do not rest freely on top of the mattress|
|Cushioning||Toppers are made to create extra cushioning, and most are thick enough to alter the feel of an existing sleep surface||Most mattress pads are relatively thin, and do not change the comfort level of a mattress to a significant extent|
|Mattress Protection||Toppers may protect mattress surfaces from contamination to some extent, even though this is not their primary purpose||Mattress pads generally provide adequate protection for mattress surfaces|
|Durability||The durability of a mattress topper varies by its material composition. Memory foam and latex toppers tend to have longer lifespans than toppers made of fibers, wool, or feathers||Mattress pads are usually machine washable, but most have below-average durability and may wear out over time due to machine cleaning|
|Average Cost||The price range varies, as some topper types are more expensive than others, but most have medium to high price-points||Mattress pads are typically lower-priced. Most models typically cost $100 or less|
Pros and Cons of Using a Mattress Topper
Mattress toppers can make a huge difference for sleepers, ranging from alleviating pain and pressure to creating an experience that regulates body temperature. There are also the less advertised pros, such as less noise and even better responsiveness for sex.
Pros of using a mattress topper on an existing mattress include the following:
- Improved Sleep Surface: Toppers can add comfort to old mattress surfaces that have developed some sagging or indentations over time, as well as newer models that are too soft or firm for its current sleepers.
- More Support: Mattresses made of materials like memory foam or latex can help create and maintain a stable, even sleep surface with enhanced neck and back support.
- Pain and Pressure Relief: Some mattress toppers, such as memory foam and latex models, conform closely to sleepers bodies. This helps align the spine and target pressure points in the neck, shoulders, lower back, and hips.
- Dual Comfort Options: For mattresses that are not designed with a dual-firmness comfort layer, a topper can be an inexpensive way to modify the feel of one side while maintaining the original firmness of the other.
- Increased Durability: Utilizing a mattress topper can help extend the lifespan of a mattress by reducing sagging and indentations in the comfort layer.
- Mattress Protection: Although they are primarily intended to add extra comfort, mattress toppers can create a buffer that protects the top surface of a mattress from stains, soiling, and physical damage.
- Minimal Noise: With the exception of featherbeds, which may produce rustling sounds, mattress toppers produce little to no noise when bearing weight.
- Better Sex: With the exception of memory foam toppers (which are considered less-than-ideal for sex), toppers are generally considered responsive enough for sex.
- Inexpensive Alternative to Replacement: Most mattress toppers cost less than $200, but even the most expensive toppers — such as wool and latex models — rarely exceed $400. As a result, using a topper is much cheaper than replacing the mattress completely.
- Cooling Effect: Many mattress toppers have gel features or other cooling and aeration technology that will keep you from overheating at night, ensuring a deeper night’s sleep.
Despite the benefits of using a mattress topper listed above, there are also some drawbacks associated with these products. You may overestimate how much the topper can help your sleeping situation if you have a mattress that badly needs replacing. Additionally, some toppers may not fit your bed very well or make it difficult for you to move around freely at night.
Here are some of the downsides to look out for:
- Fitting Issues: Mattress toppers that do not lie freely on the sleep surface are usually smaller than the mattress itself, which allows sheets to fit over them. This may present two issues. One: the sleeper may need to purchase new sheets. Two: the topper may slide around beneath the sheet, depending on how it’s constructed, which can lead to uncomfortable bunching and an uneven surface.
- Edge Support: Due to the fact that toppers are slightly smaller than mattresses, this may reduce how supportive the bed feels around its perimeter where people tend to sit.
- Limited Improvements: Although toppers can significantly improve older mattresses with some sagging or indentations, they may not be as effective at changing the feel and comfort level of a mattress with extensive damage.
- Off-gassing: Some topper types — particularly polyfoam and memory foam models — may emit unpleasant off-gassing odors that eventually dissipate, especially in well-ventilated rooms, but these smells may be persistent.
- Sleeping Hot: Toppers made of feathers or wool tend to sleep fairly cool, but memory foam, fiber, and latex models tend to retain high levels of body heat and sleep somewhat hot as a result.
- Difficult to Move: The average topper weighs at least seven or eight pounds, and some topper types — such as latex — often weigh more than 20 pounds. This can make them difficult to move and maneuver during the night, especially if they are tucked beneath fitted sheets.
- High Maintenance: Mattress toppers are rarely machine washable, and usually need to be either dry cleaned or spot cleaned by hand. Some toppers, such as featherbeds, also require constant fluffing in order to maintain proper loft.
Mattress Toppers vs. Pads vs. Protector vs. Encasement
Now, the truth is that there is an ongoing confusion amongst customers as to the actual difference between mattress toppers, pads, encasements, and protectors. That’s why we’ve decided to have a quick look at all of them and help you understand how they compare.Mattress Toppers
This is usually a more expensive and thicker cushioning of the regular mattress pad. It’s also generally more comfortable. It’s likely that you might have tried those before and disliked them. However, contemporary technology allowed manufacturers to enhance their overall quality significantly and you would be sorry not to take a second look.Mattress Pads
The mattress pad is usually more affordable and it’s a thinner cushioning of the mattress topper. While they don’t bring the same amount of comfort, they do bring a lot of additional features that many of the toppers don’t, including precise heating and cooling features. Some people are going to prefer a pad while others – a mattress topper and it’s true that there are quite a lot of different ones designed to fit the myriad of personal preferences.
The mattress protector is something entirely different. They are usually used to secure the sleeping items from issues such as allergic reactions or bedwetting, for example. These features, however, could easily be added in a topper or a pad so you wouldn’t need an additional purchase.
Need more info? Read our full guide for mattress protectors here.Encasement
This, on the other hand, is usually designed to provide you with the ultimate defense against bed bugs and are quite commonly used in hotels – as you might actually suggest. With this in mind, if you’ve had issues with bedbugs, for instance, you might truly take a look at these solutions for further information and also for added help. They are quite different and distinct from the regular pad or mattress topper.
Best Types of Mattress Comfort Pads
Memory Foam Mattress Toppers
According to the buying behavior of customers, these toppers are undoubtedly amongst the most popular ones on the market. Memory foam is a conveniently crafted material which is designed to contour your body shape carefully, providing maximum comfort.
The best thing about memory foam is that it reduces the noise transmission from your partner and that it’s particularly durable. This manufactured product also allows the creation of mattress pads in a range of different densities which is something quite convenient.
On the offside, we have the poor and questionable temperature control as well as the strong off-gassing smell when it’s new.
Cooling Gel Mattress Toppers
Cooling gel mattress topper are particularly convenient, especially for those that sleep hot or suffer from night sweats. However, they are also rather expensive. Some are using an actual liquid system while others use existing fans to blow cold air up through your actual bed. As you may suggest, this brings an incredibly comfortable sleeping sensation and it allows you the ultimate temperature control.
- The mattress’s temperature is flawlessly controlled
- The sensation is amazing
- They are prone to causing a lot of complications
- They are rather expensive
Pillow Top Mattress Toppers
When it comes to pillow top mattress toppers, you ought to know that the kind is a bit less firm and thicker in comparison to other counterparts. This is also why they are a lot less expensive in comparison. With this in mind, it’s also true that they deliver an enhanced sleeping sensation due to the ergonomic design. With this in mind, it might be a good idea for you to take a look at those and try one for yourself before going any further.
- They are very comfortable
- They are perfect for hip pain treatment
- They offer a range of different patterns
- They are not as thick
- They are usually a lot less firm
Latex Mattress Toppers
Mattress toppers of the kind are most commonly made out of natural latex. This is an eco-friendly and naturally sourced material which is definitely designed to be the best when it comes to support, durability and comfort. They are free of any synthetic materials as well.
- It provides splendid support and it helps you ease the pain
- It is incredibly durable
- It’s free of toxins and it’s eco-friendly
- It’s more expensive
- It’s not suited for people with latex allergies
Other Material (Feather, Fiber, etc)
It’s also important to note that there are quite a lot of additional materials (such as feather, fiber, etc) that you can easily take advantage of if you are looking for something far more specific. Feather and fiber are common choices but the most common one out of the big four is the mattress topper made out of bamboo. They are known to be very gentle and particularly comfortable, giving you the sensation that you’re sleeping on a cloud.
On the other hand, if you prefer something a bit harder regarding sleeping feeling, you can also check out those which are made out of fiber or wool. The latter are characterized with their overall breathability which is going to help you sleep well through the night without waking up sweating in the middle of the night.
With that said, it’s good to be aware of other materials (feather, fiber, wool, etc) when shopping online.
Buying Considerations For A Mattress Topper
Obviously, the size of your mattress topper is another crucial consideration that you’d have to account for. Of course, the size of your bed should consistently linger through your mind when you are considering purchasing a bed pad.
There are a few different sizes that you would be able to find toppers in – these include king, full, queen, and twin sizes.
Although for this exact reason, you will need to know the exact size of your own bed as well as the size of your mattress if you are going to be securing the perfect fit. If you purchase a smaller or a larger bed topper, this is going to make your entire bed feel a bit uneven.
Pay attention to this as it is something quite important and you’d certainly have to account for it.
Topper Weight & Thickness (Durability)
The thickness of your mattress is another important and quite paramount characteristic that you would have to account for. This is undoubtedly something very important. Your mattress topper should be thick enough – that’s just it. You should pay special attention to this particular consideration if you are to make a good call.
According to some experts, memory foam, as well as latex mattress topper, usually provide the best range when it comes to thickness. It’s also worth noting, however, that every single thickness is best for a certain issue, so that’s something you ought to account for.
The thickness (whether memory foam or latex) will usually range between 1 and 5 inches. Your current condition of the mattress is likely to be a decisive factor when you choose the thickness of the pad. The general rule of thumb is that mattress pads which are thicker are appropriate for softer beds and the other way around. Basically, your mattress topper should compensate the attributes that your mattress is lacking in.
Therefore, if you need a firmer appeal and your mattress can’t provide it, go for a firmer topper. The opposite is also true. Studies conducted in Spain revealed that usually, a 2-inch thickness is perfect if your mattress is in a proper condition.
Firm or Soft (Material)
This is a debate which is definitely going to be raging on and on for an entire eternity. However, there is one simple truth here – it all depends on what you want and what works best for you.
Firmness is the characteristic which is going to be supporting your back. On the other hand, softness is what’s going to determine the contouring of your body. Each one of those is important for addressing back pain and other conditions. Of course, there are quite a few things that you might want to take into consideration when it comes to it.
It is usually considered that back sleepers can benefit more from a firmer mattress while side sleepers would need something softer. Stomach sleepers, on the other hand, would need something which is a comfortable blend and meets them in the middle. Of course, a lot of us combine all of the above and prefer different sleeping positions through the night. Therefore, your individuality is likely to determine this particular consideration.
However, if you have a certain medical condition related to your spinal alignment such as a slipped disc, for instance, you should definitely consider something which is rather firmer and has a density rating which is higher. A baby mattress topper, for example, should be a bit firmer, in order to prevent any spinal malformations early on. On the other hand, if you have a college kid, you can easily use a mid-range firmness to promote different sleeping positions.
Are Tempur-pedic Models Worth it?
There are a few key considerations which are worth taking into account when determining whether a tempur-pedic foam mattress topper is a worthy investment. Right off the bat, you ought to know that they take advantage of firm foam which is going to bring a serious support for your back. You wouldn’t have to worry about replacing the unit for a few years because they are rather reliable. They will also enhance and prolong the overall lifespan of your mattress.
At the same time, they are known to relieve the stress on different pressure points conveniently and without any hassle. This is going to quickly get rid of different sleeping related issues and ailments. You can rest assured that the tempur-pedic mattress foam toppers are perfect for back sleepers and they are also fairly appropriate for side and belly sleepers as well.
All in all, it is safe to determine that the products are truly worth the asking price and you are unlikely to go wrong with a tempur-pedic mattress of the kind.
To conclude, the choice of a mattress topper is obviously going to be predicated on a myriad of different factors, each one of which is quite substantial.
Ultimately, though, you would have the last word. It is up to your personal preferences to make sure that you get a solution which is appropriate and which is going to accommodate your sleeping habits.
We’ve walked you through a few different products and we’ve tried to keep things versatile to encompass the differentiated demand. Hopefully, you will find value in the above and it would help you make the right call without wasting a tremendous amount of time in the process.