7 The best mini split AC units without duct with the highest ratings SEERThe mini split AC units without duct are known as the most energy efficient type of air conditioning.
Energy efficiency is denoted by a SEER classification. The most energy efficient mini split air conditioners can have a SEER rating above 20. In short, they can produce an incredible amount of cooling energy for a fraction of the electricity costs (compared to other types of AC).
The excellent energy cost – cooling power ratio is the number one reason why AC units divided into mini pipelines are becoming more and more popular.
In recent years, air conditioning engineers of unit type # 1 have suggested when asked: “I want to cool 1 or several rooms at a reasonable price, which AC should I buy?” is the “mini split air AC unit”.
We will see the best mini split air conditioning system in 2021, based on specifications like the SEER classification. LearnMetrics recommends 7 mini split systems
But first, let’s learn a thing or two about what this AC unit really is and the benefits of using it.
We’ll see a quick guide for pipeline mini split AC buyers with 3 key factors to illustrate what makes the best mini splits systems, well, the best.
Our Top Pick
10 Mini Split AC Units Review
- [ADVANTAGE] This r410a refrigerant adapter has a thimble, in the course of the operation, it will not open the air conditioning core tube, completely solve the problem of fluoride leakage injury, security is guaranteed.
- [THREAD] R410A Mini Split Adapter 5/16" SAE Female 1/4" SAE Male R410a Straight Swivel Adapter. Meets SAE, EPA and UL requirements for containment of refrigerant.
- [WIDE APPLICATION] Hvac hose adapter used on most new R410A Ductless Mini Split Systems. Perfectly fits for R410a mini split system air conditioners, HVAC and refrigeration service.
- [PREMIUM QUALITY] R410a adapters made of high quality brass alloy, last long; easy to operate and install, strong sealing for durability and safety.
- [SERVICE GURANTEE] 2Pcs x R-410a Straight Adapter. This R410a Adapter complete with 1-Year limited warranty, if you have any problems or concerns, please kindly send us mail any time, we are always here to provide you 100% satisfied after-sale service.
- Split AC with Flexicool inverter Technology : Variable speed compressor which adjusts power depending on heat load | with Flexicool Convertible 4-in-1 inverter technology where user can increase or decrease cooling capacity and saves upto 50%* energy consumption.
- Capacity: 1.5 Ton. Suitable for Mid sized rooms (111 sq ft to 150 sq. ft); 450 CFM Air Flow & Ambient Temprature: 52 degree Celsius with 2 way Air Directional Control; Best in Class Cooling Capacity with 4800 watts
- Energy Rating: 3 Star -Energy efficiency | Annual Energy Consumption (as per energy label): 964.1 units, ISEER Value: 3.85 (please refer energy Label on product page or contact brand for more details)
- Manufacturer Warranty: 10 Years on Compressor, 5 Years on PCB and 1 Year on product (T&C)
- 100% Copper Condenser Coil with Aqua Clear Protection: Prevent from rust & Corrosion; Better cooling and requires low maintenance; Uninterrupted Cooling & Maximum Comfort
- Key Features: Flexicool Inverter Compressor; Convertible 4-in-1 cooling; HD Filter; Turbo Cool for Faster Cooling; Hydro Blue Coating for Long Lasting Comfort; Refrigerant Leakage Detector; Auto Cleanser; ADC Sensor
- 😀Universal Design - Adjustable for use with up to 9,000 - 24,000 BTU Units of maximum weight capacity up to 360 lb (Wall mounting hardware NOT included). Please purchase the accessories together for the installation if need the mini split support.
- 😀High Quality - Made of solid thick stainless steel material for longer service life.
- 😀Function - Raises the condensing unit above floor for protection from dirt, snow, debris, floods and other perils.
- 😀Damping Capacity - reliable rubber vibration for shock absorption and correct distance from the wall for air flow.
- 😀Easy to Install - Assemble easy enough, ONLY bracket screws included, wall mounting hardware shown in besides.US Patent Pending. All Rights Reserved.
- Split AC with non-inverter compressor: Power chill operation to ensure quick cooling
- Capacity 0.8 Ton: Suitable for small sized rooms (up to 100 sq.ft)
- 3 Star: Energy efficiency
- Warranty: 1 Years on Product, 1 Years on Condenser, 5 Years on Compressor
- Copper Condenser Coil: Better cooling and requires low maintenance
- Key Features- Cooling Capacity @ 43°C: 100%; Noise Level: 32 db(A); Ambient Operation: 50°C
- Split AC with inverter compressor: Variable speed compressor which adjusts power depending on heat load. Powered with 23000 microholes, you can enjoy powerful and gentle cooling. With Convertible 5in1 modes, you can change according to your mood and requirement
- Capacity (1.5Ton): Suitable for medium sized rooms (111 to 150 sq ft)
- Energy Rating: 5 Star BEE Rating with Power Saving Mode | ISEER rating of 5.16 W/W (better than industry benchmarks | Electricity Consumption : 749.48 Units Per Year
- Warranty: 1 Year Standard Warranty on Product, 1 Year Warranty on PCB, 10 Years Warranty on Digital Inverter Compressor
- Copper Condenser Coil: Better cooling and requires low maintenance
- Key Features: Convertible 5in1, 4 way swing, 3 Step Auto Clean, Easy to Clean Filter, Copper Anti-Bacterial Filter, Coated Copper tubes
- Smart Split AC With Inverter Heavy Duty Compressor: Variable Speed Compressor Which Adjusts Power Depending On Heat Load |With Indias only Flexi Convertible 8-in-1 where the user gets a flexibility to increase or decrease cooling capacity as per requirements.
- Capacity: 1.0 Ton Suitable for medium sized rooms (80 to 120 sq ft.); Ambient Temperature: 55 degree Celsius with 4 way air swing with highest Cooling capacity of 3800 W
- Energy Rating : 2 Star - High energy efficiency | Annual Energy Consumption: 773.19 Units Per Year| ISEER Value: 3.6 (Please Refer Energy Label On Product Page Or Contact Brand For More Details)
- Manufacturer Warranty: 10 Years on Compressor with Gas Charging, 5 Years on ODU PCB and 1 Year on product (T&C)
- Copper With Nanotek Coating: Prevents From Rust & Corrosion; Increase Durability ; Uninterrupted Cooling
- Key Features: HD Inverter Compressor; Flexi Convertible 8-in-1 cooling; Super Mode;3 Stage air treatment; Dual Gold Fin; Nanotek Coating; Automotive grade ODU coating; Low Gas Detection; 100% Copper
- Split AC with inverter Technology : Variable speed compressor which adjusts power depending on heat load for higher energy savings & cools even @52°C
- Capacity: 1.5 Ton. Suitable for Mid sized rooms (111 sq ft to 150 sq. ft)
- Energy Rating: 3 Star. Annual Energy Consumption: 1058.16 units. ISEER Value: 3.8 (Please refer energy label on product page or contact brand for more details). The star rating is as per BEE guidelines on or before 30th June 2022.
- 1 year on product, 1 year on condenser, 10 years on compressor
- Copper Condenser Coil: Better cooling and requires low maintenance
- 1.0 Ton, 5 Star, Split AC
- Control Type: LCD remote
- Carrier smart connect, hydro blue fin coating
- ISEER VALUE : 4.62
- Warranty: 1 Year Warranty on Unit and 10 Years Warranty on compressor
- Spilt Ac with inverter compressor: variable speed compressor which adjusts power depending on heat load. It is most energy efficient and has lowest-noise operation
- Capacity: 1.4 Ton suitable for medium sized rooms (Upto 150 square feet)
- Energy rating: 5 star, Annual energy consumption: 1101.55, ISEER value: 3.168.The star rating is as per BEE guidelines on or before 30th June 2022
- Warranty: 1 year warranty on the unit and 4 years warranty on the compressor
- The AC comes with Copper condenser coil that makes its performance superior
- Special Features: This Ac comes with High Ambient Cooling,Stabilizer Free Operation,Copper condenser coil, Advanced Air Purification,Active Dehumidifier,Multi Stage Filtration Advantage,4 Way Auto Louver.
- Split AC with inverter compressor: Variable speed compressor which adjusts power depending on heat load. Convertible / adjustable with 4 cooling modes through remote control to operate in different tonnages for different cooling needs (20% to 120% capacity)
- Capacity: 1.5 ton Suitable for medium sized rooms (111 to 150 sq ft) & Ambient Temperature: 52 degree Celsius
- Energy Rating: 3 Star | Annual Energy Consumption 4800 Units per year | ISSER Value: 3.81
- Warranty : 1 Year Comprehensive Warranty on the Product and 10 Years on Compressor
- Copper Condenser Coil: Better cooling and requires low maintenance, Prevents from rust & corrosion; Increase durability; Uninterrupted cooling
- Key Features: Stabilizer free operation within 110 - 285 voltage range; Digital Temperature Display ; Noise Level: IDU - 47 (db)
What is a Mini-Split Air Conditioner System?
The main difference between a traditional air conditioning system and a mini-split is that traditional systems have ductwork and a mini-split does not.
A traditional system uses a blower to suck air from the house through the ductwork and into the main unit’s blower, and then pushes it through an evaporator, which removes the heat from the air. The system continues to push the cooled air out of the system, into more ductwork, and back through the vents in your home. So air from throughout your home is funneled into the main unit, cooled, and returned to the various rooms in your home via ductwork.
A mini-split still operates in the same way, except that it only has to push the air from one room through its evaporator. Instead of having to pump air through ducts that are in the basement, crawl space or attic, it is simply pulling air into the unit from the room it is physically located in, cooling the air, and blowing it right back into the same room. The air never leaves the room it is in.
You might be wondering how a mini-split differs from a window or through-the-wall unit often found in hotels. The obvious answer is that a mini-split unit can be mounted anywhere in a room while a window unit has to be in the window. This makes mini-splits the more secure and aesthetic option.
The most important difference in a mini-split compared to window or through-the-wall units is the location of the noisy compressor. Window units and through-the-wall units are completely self-contained. This means the noisiest part of any air conditioner, the compressor, is in your home when using a window or through-the-wall unit.
A mini-split is like a traditional split-system air conditioning unit because the compressor is in a separate unit outside. The only things connecting the two are the copper lines used to pump the heat transferring refrigerant between the two systems and wiring. A mini-split is much quieter than any of its competition because its fan is much smaller than a traditional units fan because there is no need to move air through ductwork.
In short, mini-splits are more efficient than traditional units because of the absence of ductwork. But they are designed for cooling and heating individual spaces, rather than entire homes. mini-splits are more efficient, versatile, and much quieter than window units and other self-contained options.
The ductless mini split AC is made out of 4 parts:
- Outdoor unit (see sketch below). The compressor enables the compression of the refrigerant. Usually attached to the outer wall.
- Indoor unit (see sketch below). Quiet and elegant part mounted on the inside wall (bedroom wall, bathroom wall, basement wall, etc.). It consists of cooling coils, an air filter, and a blower.
- Refrigerant lines (connection between outdoor and indoor unit). These lines enable the exchange of the refrigerant between the two units. To install it, you need to drill a hole in your wall. Hint: If you can do that yourself, there’s a good chance you can DIY mini split AC installation.
- Remote control or/and mobile app. You can lower or raise the temperature, set a programmable timer, and so on with remote control. With smart mini split ACs, you can connect your smartphone and control the whole AC with a simple app.
Here is what the insides of the indoor and outdoor unit consist of:
What Are The Benefits Of Using A Ductless AC?
The benefits of using a ductless air conditioner instead of ducted one or room air conditioners are quite obvious:
- No ducts. That is as obvious as it gets; the ductless unit can help the central air conditioner or as a stand-alone AC.
- Zone cooling. You can actually pick the room you want to cool down. Do you want to cool down the bedroom? Just install the inside unit on your bedroom wall. You don’t even need a window – this makes a perfect air conditioner for basements. You just need to drill a hole in the wall.
- Quietness. The outdoor unit creates all the noise (because it contains the compressor). That means that the indoor mini split AC unit is quiet as a cat. The noise levels even go below 50 dB; this noise level window air conditioner or portable ones can’t match.
- Superb energy-efficiency. The big brands offer mini split units with a SEER rating of 20 or more, which is incredible. With zone cooling, you don’t need to waste the cooling effect on parts of your house; you don’t need to be cooled.
- Heating. One of the best benefits of ductless AC units is that they often include a high-efficient heater for winter. You can basically use the air conditioner for heating as well.
3 Key Factors To Consider When Buying A Mini Split Unit
Some ductless AC units are obviously better than others.
Here are the 5 rules you have to follow if you want to pick the best ductless AC unit for your house:
1. Right Capacity In BTU (Be Aware Of The Voltage)
Knowing how powerful a mini split AC you need is the first thing you need to figure out. Usually, we have the certain square footage of a room or rooms in mind. Those we want to cool down, of course.
The recommendation is to multiply the room size (in sq ft) by 20-30 to get a BTU value. 20 is the most eco-friendly; 30 basically guarantees you won’t buy a ductless mini split AC that’s too weak.
Here are our recommendations for an average household based on available ductless AC sizes:
|Capacity (In BTU) Of Ductless AC||Room Size (In Sq Ft)|
|9,000||100-350 sq ft|
|12,000 (1 ton)||350-500 sq ft|
|18,000||500-700 sq ft|
|24,000 (2 ton)||700-900 sq ft|
|30,000||900-1,100 sq ft|
|36,000 (3 ton)||1,100+ sq ft|
The 12,000 BTU are the most commonly sold 1-zone mini split ACs. That’s why we have based our comparison of the best mini split ACs by comparing 12,000 BTU models.
In the end, you can also find a connection to 2,3,4 and 5 zone mini split systems.
Note: With the high capacity mini split units, be aware of the voltage. The 15,000+ BTU devices usually need a higher voltage, 208/230V, instead of the standard 110/220V. The high-capacity units will almost always require you to install the 208/230V, which will add to the standard installation costs.
2. Which Are The Best Ductless AC Brands?
Taking the brand into account is very important. The reliability and the brand are very firmly connected in this industry.
The big brands have a good track record and can charge well over $1,000 for a ductless AC unit. The lesser-known brand, on the other hand, can be less trustworthy. The upside of this is that they price their units below $1,000; they are trying to build a good reputation.
Namely, there are two big brands: MRCOOL, LG, and Mitsubishi. They have been in this industry for decades and have a pristine reputation with the mini split AC installers.
In fact, some installers will only be willing to install MRCOOL ductless AC units because they’re aware of just how reliable they are. They are also more willing to give you a guarantee they’ll come back and fix a MRCOOL or LG unit without charge. Because they pretty much know how unlikely a MRCOOL unit is to break down.
Obviously, the lesser-known brands don’t have the length of experience in the engineering mini-split system that the big brands have. That doesn’t mean they aren’t any good; it just means they need to prove themselves.
Some smaller brands such as PIONEER, DAIKIN, and Klimaire offer ductless systems that almost reach (but do not breach) SEER 20. They do offer reliable models at a reduced price compared to the big brand name models.
If you want to spend less than $1,000 for a SEER 19 12,000 BTU ductless mini split air conditioner, these lesser-known brands can deliver. The big ones can too, but the price there can be up to 50% higher.
3. Energy-Efficiency And Price (Let’s Talk SEER And HSPF And Dollars)
Here at LearnMetrics, we especially love metrics. For mini split units, the two energy-efficiency metrics are crucial to understanding:
- SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio). Measures how energy-efficient the cooling effect of the mini split AC is. Simple rule: The bigger the SEER, the higher the energy-efficiency.
- HSPF (Heating Seasonal Performance Factor). Same thing as SEER; it’s just for heating instead of cooling.
When determining the energy-efficiency, we really need to look at both the SEER and HSPF. That’s because we don’t use the mini split AC just for cooling but also for heating.
SEER and HSPF affect the electricity bill. As an example, let’s say we use the cooling function 8 hours per day over 3-month summer, and the heating function 4 hours per day over 3-month heat. Also, let’s say that the watt-hour costs 13 cents.
What would be the yearly dollar difference between the #1 AC and the #7 AC on the list? Let’s calculate a bit:
|Metrics||#1 MRCOOL DIY-12-HP-115B||#7 DAIKIN RXB12AXVJU+ FTXB12AXVJU|
|Summer cooling cost:||$48.62||$66.07|
|Winter heating cost:||$42.87||$66.07|
The difference in yearly cost between a superb mini split AC and an above-average one is $40.45. In 20 years, the difference is $809.02.
The funny thing is the difference in cost between the #1 MRCOOL DIY-12-HP-115B and #7 DAIKIN RXB12AXVJU+ FTXB12AXVJU is actually about $700 to $800.
Note: Over the years, the high SEER and HSPF ratings can save you a lot of electricity (compared with the average SEER, HSPF rating unit).
It’s no wonder that ductless ACs with extremely high SEER and HSPF cost more than $1,000. Big brands create those. On the other hand, the smaller brands assemble high SEER and HSPF units that cost less than $1,000.
Based on these three metrics (and a bunch of others such as dehumidification rates, airflow, noise levels), we’ve compared the best ductless ACs in the 2021 list:
When is the best time to buy an air conditioner?
Avoid buying in peak season if you can; that will be summer in most parts of Australia, but could be mid-winter too if you’re in a colder region. Installers are usually very busy in these periods and you might have to wait some weeks before your new unit can be installed.
If possible, shop around before the peak season starts, so that your new unit is installed and ready for when you’ll need it most.
Alternatively, it can be worth buying just after the season ends. Old stock may be discounted as retailers make room for new models.
How to install a split-system air conditioner
- You’ll need a licensed air conditioner installer because of the gas refrigerant. Look for an installer with ARCtick approval, and get a few quotes. Most traders offer supply and install packages, and some installation only (meaning you’ll need to purchase the unit yourself). To find out more, read our article ‘How much does an air conditioner cost to install or replace?’
- As well as an ARCtick accreditation, your air conditioner installer should have an electrical qualification in order to wire your air conditioner into your home. Many don’t, but this means they will be unable to offer a warranty on the electrical work, only the air conditioner itself. Likewise, plumbing your air conditioners’ drain into your home’s stormwater system needs to be performed by a qualified plumber. So check that the installer you choose has the necessary accreditations to carry out the whole installation.
- It’s generally better to install an air conditioner on a longer wall of a room, and not directly above a window, but your installer should recommend the best place for your individual situation.
- The outdoor unit of your split-system needs to be installed on a firm base (for example, a concrete slab) or attached to a wall using sturdy brackets. It should be as close as possible to the indoor air outlet, ideally with about three to five metres of pipes between the two units.
The compressor should be installed on a firm base or attached to a wall with sturdy brackets, and protected from direct sunlight.
- Shade the outdoor part of your air conditioner from direct sunlight – for example, by installing it on a southern wall or providing an awning.
- Single-phase power is all you need for most single (and multi) split-system air conditioners. Three-phase power might be needed for very large multi-split or ducted systems, say 20kW capacity or more.
- Once you’ve got your air conditioner, don’t forget to clean the filters periodically and have the unit serviced regularly.
Leave a Comment