If you are one of the millions of people who suffer from sore, knotted muscles that keep you from doing everything you want to do, you may be interested in one of the best massage guns for back pain. Why do these tools suddenly seem to be everywhere and on everyone’s Christmas wish list? Well, one of the best ways to find back pain relief is to go to the spa for a massage, but between the pandemic and the prohibitive cost, this isn’t an option for many people right now.
If you are wondering, “Do massage guns help with back pain?” the answer is yes, they definitely do! We spoke to Molly Palmer, a former dancer who suffers from chronic back pain, and she said that the first time she tried a massage gun it was the best thing she has ever tried in her life.
Top Best Massage Guns list 2021
The Best Massage Guns, Right Now
- STATE-OF-THE-ART TECHNOLOGY | The Caresmith Charge is a scientifically calibrated hand-held body massager that uses advanced percussion therapy to release pain, muscle stiffness and soreness.
- CORDLESS, ERGONOMIC & ULTRA-LIGHT | No wires, a rubberized non-slip handle & a feather-light weight of only 800 gms makes the Charge Massage Gun the most premium & easy to use massage machine for full body in the market.
- POWERFUL MOTOR | The Charge comes with a formidable 12.6V, 24W High Torque Motor which can generate up to 3300 strokes per minute. That means the Massage Gun touches and comes off the body at an astounding rate of 55 times per second!
- 6 VERSATILE HEADS | With 6 interchangeable heads, each targeting specific muscle groups, this massager vibration machine provides a deep muscle treatment for your entire body. No more awkward and hurried massage appointments; Comfortably treat your entire body in one go. Anytime. Anywhere.
- LONG-LASTING BATTERY LIFE | The Caresmith Massager Gun comes with a powerful 2500 mAH Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery which can last up to 5 hours on a single charge! Never run out of juice again.
- PROFESSIONAL HIGH INTENSITY DEVICE | The heavy duty Charge Sport Massage Gun is specifically designed for professional trainers and athletes. With a powerful 24V brushless motor, Charge Sport delivers a stroke length of 11mm at an astonishing 3300 percussions per minute! Charge Sport is the ultimate sports recovery tool for relieving muscle soreness, tightness, aches, and knots.
- SUPERIOR BRUSHLESS MOTOR | Charge Sport’s powerful brushless motor is a step-ahead in technology. With no moving parts, it undergoes minimal wear and tear and delivers a professional grade performance with hardly any sound. Best of all, it has a high torque-to-weight ratio that makes your Charge Sport strong and light.
- PERCUSSION THERAPY | Percussive therapy includes thumping or hammering motions which is scientifically proven to release muscle tension and accelerate recovery. It offers the same benefit as that of a traditional massage less the expense and the hassle of visiting a therapist.
- ERGONOMIC, LIGHTWEIGHT & PORTABLE | Charge Sport’s slim frame, wireless capabilities and rubberized ergonomic handle allows you to use the massage gun easily on any part of your body. The massage gun also comes with a premium carry case allowing it to be used anywhere anytime
- RECHARGEABLE & DETACHABLE BATTERY | Charge Sport comes with a powerful 1500 mAH Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery which can last for upto 4 hours on a single charge. Additionally, the battery is also detachable and can be easily replaced, making Charge Sport your life long masseuse.
- 6 INTERCHANGEABLE VERSATILE HEADS | The Charge Sport comes with 6 interchangeable heads allowing it to target different areas of the body. Attack specific muscle groups and reach even the smallest area with this deep tissue massager.
- 6 Adjustable Speed: This massage gun contains 6 adjustable speeds, with strong impact vibration, choose the right vibration and pressure, so that your muscles get deep massage.
- Ultra-Silent: Massage gun is designed with low noise design so that you can get the most relaxation during massage. At the same time, it will not affect others, which is very user-friendly
- Brushless Motor: Adopt high performance brushless motor,which is durable,quiet and high frequency,which reach MAX 3200RPM
- Heat Dissipation Design: Heat dissipation design can effectively protect the massage gun, prevent heat damage and prolong its service life.
- AI Technology: AI technology is used in massage gun to prevent overloaded and short circuit,which is safer for use
- Cordless Rechargeable Gun Massager Designed to provide powerful percussive massage therapy with a high-performance motor (4200 RPM) and rechargeable lithium-ion battery of capacity 1800mAh. The battery can last about 2- 3 hours after recharging.
- 6 Speed Settings Give Versatile Massage Offer great massage versatility. Comes with 6-speed settings for giving your muscles a deep massage as per your ease. It is ideal for fast muscle recovery after a workout or exercise. It also speeds up results from training.
- 6 Detachable Attachments Comes with six detachable attachments so that users can target all body parts successfully. All massage heads are designed to meets the needs of different size muscles. Also, these massage heads can be removed and installed easily for use and cleaning.
- Power Adapter Included Comes with a charging adapter for easy charging. During charging, the indicator light on the adaptor becomes red. Change to green when the battery is fully charged.
- Safe & Premium Quality Made of material that is safe for the human body. Intelligent safety-protection features, like light indications, power off after 15 min makes it completely safe. While handle of it is very soft, comfortable, sweat-proof, and non-slippery.
- Silent and User Friendly Quiet technology and easy to use. Works silently when massaging. Light weight (1-1.47 kg), ergonomic design, powerful motor, six-speed settings, and long handle make it easy to use. Automatically turn off after 15 minutes.
- STATE-OF-THE-ART TECHNOLOGY | The Caresmith Charge Flex is a scientifically calibrated hand-held body massager that uses advanced percussion therapy to release pain, muscle stiffness and soreness.
- CORDLESS, MULTI GRIP & ULTRA-LIGHT | No wires, multi-grip handle & a feather-light weight of 700 gms makes the Charge Flex Massage Gun the most premium & easy to use massage machine for full body in the market.
- 8 VERSATILE HEADS | With 8 interchangeable heads, each targeting specific muscle groups, this massager vibration machine provides a deep muscle treatment for your entire body. No more awkward and hurried massage appointments; Comfortably treat your entire body in one go. Anytime. Anywhere.
- POWERFUL MOTOR | The Charge Flex comes with a formidable 30W High Torque Motor which can generate up to 3300 strokes per minute. That means the Massage Gun touches and comes off the body at an astounding rate of 55 times per second!
- LONG-LASTING BATTERY LIFE | The Caresmith Charge Flex comes with a powerful 2000 mAH Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery which can last 2-5 hours on a single charge! Never run out of juice again.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN – Vandelay Massage Gun has with a unique ergonomic design that allows for maximum & easy reach for all body parts. Its perfect for advanced percussion therapy with an easy-to-wield design for muscle stiffness, pain, and soreness. Portable device with premium rubber finish and well designed packaging makes it is very easy to carry. Ideal for shoulders, necks, backs, legs, arms, and more.
- 6 REPLACEABLE HEADS - for different use on the body. Small Flat Head (Generic), Small Round head (Joints), U Head (Vertebrae), Ball Head (Large Muscle Groups), Cross Head (Nursing Massage) and Concave Head (Thigh, Calf and Wrist Muscles). This allows for targeting of specific muscle groups across the body.
- HIGH INTENSITY - The Vandelay Fascal Massager comes with 3 Gears – Slow (2100 RPM), Medium (2700 RPM) and Fast (3100 RPM) to suite user needs. Please note the LED light for speed and intensity settings. Please hold the Button for 3 seconds to Shut it down. It also comes with locked motor protection – When blocked to a certain degree, the motor will stop rotating after which you will have to press the button for 3 seconds to restart the device.
- EXTRA LONG BATTERY LIFE – Wireless Massager can be charged with Charger provided (12.6V 2A) and has a run time of 4 - 6 Hours with its Massive 2500mAh Battery. Charging time is approximately 5 Hours.
- 1 YEAR WARRANTY - We have utmost faith in the quality and longevity of our products. Contact our world class customer support for any warranty related queries.
- POWERFUL MOTOR- The Charge Active comes with a formidable High Torque Motor which can generate up to 3000 strokes per minute. That means the Massage Gun touches and comes off the body at an astounding rate of 55 times per second!
- CORDED & LIGHTWEIGHT- Charge Active comes with a long cord which can be connected to any socket. No need to charge again. Just plug & use! It also comes with an ergonomically designed handle to help you target sore spots on the most hard-to-reach areas of your body. Charge Active is light-weight and weighs only 700 gms making it Ergonomic easy to use body massager for pain relief in the market!
- STATE-OF-THE-ART TECHNOLOGY- The Caresmith Charge Active is a scientifically calibrated hand-held body massager that uses advanced percussion therapy to release pain, muscle stiffness and soreness.
- 4 VERSATILE HEADS- With 4 interchangeable heads, each targeting specific muscle groups, this massager machine for pain relief provides a deep muscle treatment for your entire body. No more awkward and hurried massage appointments; Comfortably treat your entire body in one go. Anytime. Anywhere.
- EASY & EFFICIENT- Just plug, play, and go! The massager is efficient at alleviating stressed and sore muscles right from the core. So, no more waiting for long hours at the clinic. Now get a professional deep muscle massage where you need it, when you need it.
- (1) Multi-speed settings allow for free vibration intensity adjustment to achieve customized massaging comfort.
- (2) Supplied with 7 interchangeable applicator heads to aim at different body parts: ball head is for muscle massage, bullet head is for joints massage, fork head is for spine massage and flat head is for full body relaxation.
- (3) Cordless and lightweight design and non-slip handle grips, come with a storage case to keep the whole set organized for quick access and carrying convenience, suitable for both home and travel use.
- (4) Vibration Frequency: Level 1- 30Hz, Level 2 - 40Hz, Level 3 - 53Hz.
- (5) Deep Tissue Massage Gun: This massage gun relieves neck and back pain.it's ideal for people experiencing stiffness due to long periods of sitting at work. It's also great for athletes looking to recover and prevent injuries.
- (6) Super Quiet + LCD Touch Screen: It brings super silent when massaging, you can enjoy your relaxation time. Professional body massager with high definition LCD touch screen, you can clearly know the speed levels and remaining power at any time.
- ✅ [1 YEAR WARRANTY] - We ensure the best customer experience and hence offer a 1-year replacement warranty.
- ✅ [ULTRA LONG BATTERY LIFE] - Massage intensity is 40% dependent on the massage gun’s battery capability. The massage gun is powered by a high-quality 4000 mAH lithium battery which lasts longer than 3-5 Hours of working time.
- ✅ [REMARKABLY SILENT MASSAGE] - The patented QuietWave technology with impeccable assembly makes the massage gun almost Noiseless with less than 45 dB, which is less than the noise made by a fridge.
- ✅ [LIGHTWEIGHT ERGONOMIC DESIGN] - The massage gun is made up of strong Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene with just 600gm of weight and has a long ergonomically designed handle which makes it super stable & easy for self-use while treating difficult to reach body parts.
- ✅ [ADJUSTABLE 6 SPEED VARIATION] - The Massage Gun has One Touch Smart Button Control to adjust Speed Levels with an LED Indicator to identify the same.
- ✅ [4 PRO GRADE ATTACHMENTS] - With 4 easily detachable heads, it ensures each & every muscle group is targeted with the help of all attachments. Fork Head is suitable for high-pressure points such as Neck & Spine; Flat Head is suitable for high pain areas such as Joints, Palm & Foot sole; Bullet Head is suitable for muscle joints and Round Head is your go-to attachment and is suitable for any part of the body.
- State-of-the-art Technology | The Flexnest Flexgun is a scientifically calibrated hand-held body massager that uses advanced percussion therapy to release pain, muscle stiffness and joint soreness.
- Cordless, Ergonomic & Ultra-light | No wires and a non-slip handle makes the Charge Massage Gun the most premium & easy to use massage machine for full body in the market.
- Powerful Motor | The Charge comes with a formidable High Torque Motor which can generate up to 3000RPM. That means the Massage Gun touches and comes off the body at an astounding rate of 55 times per second!
- 4 Silicone Heads | With 4 interchangeable heads, each targeting specific muscle groups, this massager vibration machine provides a deep muscle treatment for your entire body.
- Long-lasting Battery Life | The Flexgun comes with a powerful 2500 mAH Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery which can last up to 8 hours on a single charge! Never run out of juice again.
What is a Massage Gun?
Massage guns first appeared on the market in 2008, and soon became a staple piece of kit for athletes and gym goers around the world.
A handheld device designed to provide a deep tissue massage akin to that from a professional massage therapist, these self massage guns are a great way to relieve pain caused by tight muscles and knots.
Using vibration and percussion therapy, the massage guns generate swift bursts of pressure against the skin which works to release the tension within the muscles and effectively stimulates blood flow to help recovery of the muscles. Make sure you’re engaging your core properly when you workout as this will help to prevent a lot of pain and injuries!
Using before a warm up helps to prevent muscle soreness, while using during a cool down aids in reducing swelling. You can also use a percussion massage gun more generally, for example, if you have tight back muscles from sitting at your desk all day or knots from manual labour; there really is no end to the benefits of these devices! For another way to get away from your traditional desk, check out our article on the best treadmill desks to help your fitness while working.
Since their creation there have been numerous newcomers to the market, and the vibration therapy massage gun now has a huge range of features, including: rechargeable batteries, multiple attachment heads, varying levels of intensity, quieter motors, and more.
How to use a massage gun
Using a percussion massage gun isn’t as difficult as it sounds! Once the device is charged, you need to select the right attachment for the muscles that you’re targeting (we’ll detail that in a second) and then just press the attachment to your skin, switch the massage gun on, and then gently move the machine around the muscle area. That’s it – simple!
Obviously this is a very general explanation of how to use a massage gun, so be sure to read the instructions carefully before your first use.
Most of the best massage guns come with a variety of attachments, all specifically designed for different areas of the body. The different heads are actually effective so do swap them around! The most common ones are:
- Round head – for large muscle groups, like the abs or legs.
- U-shaped head – for the spine and neck.
- Conical head – for smaller specific areas, like feet.
- Flat head – for back muscles
- Standard ball – for overall use
While massage guns are a great way to relieve muscle pains and aid recovery, they do come with certain caveats. Overuse of a massage gun can cause damage to the muscle or cause the device to overheat, and whilst you may think working on painful areas will help, doing that is actually a bad thing as you are probably too close to bone or nerve bundles, so avoid these.
Do I need to use a massage gun?
The benefits of a massage gun can be felt by anybody with knotted muscles, not just professional athletes or devoted gym goers. It’s a simple form of self-myofascial release, and much less complicated than methods like electrotherapy that can seem intimidating to those that are new to the game.
If you find that you have regular muscle aches and pains, then investing in a massage machine gun can relieve your discomfort, and could save you money on professional massage therapy in the long term. They can be an expensive purchase however, so we recommend doing your research to find the best massage gun for your needs before committing.
Another useful product for aiding recovery and relieving pains are compression socks and sleeves, so check out our article on the best knee compression sleeves for a cheaper option to help your joints!
How long can I use a massage gun?
This is an important aspect of using a self massage gun, as overworking of the muscles can actually be damaging! It will depend on the intensity you have the setting on, but usually you only need to use one for a few minutes to get all the muscle relief you need.
Most don’t recommend using the massage guns for more than 15 minutes at a time, and some of the best massage guns on this list have in-built safety features where they shut off after this amount of time anyway, but be sure to follow the safety instructions provided.
For warming up your body before a workout, just 30 seconds with a percussion massage gun is enough to activate your muscles!
What is the best massage gun?
While we don’t have a definitive answer for this question, we’ve chosen 15 of the best massage guns on the market at the minute for this list, and our massage gun reviews are in-depth and clear enough for you to make an informed decision for yourself.
After all, everyone has different preferences but there really is something for everyone on our list.
How do I choose a massage gun?
First, let’s talk about what a therapy massage gun is. These tools, once used primarily by runners and other serious athletes, are designed to decrease muscle soreness and improve your overall range of motion. They use vibration, also called “percussive therapy,” to simulate the moves a masseuse would make with her hands, targeting specific areas (such as your back) and providing quick bursts of pressure that penetrate deep into your muscle tissue. The best massage guns for back pain also increase blood flow to sore spots, helping to reduce inflammation and break up stubborn knots.
There are many types of massage guns for back pain, and the best one for you will depend on what exactly you’re looking for, as well as how much you want to spend. No matter your budget, there is one that will work for you!
Is a massage gun worth it?
If you’re unsure whether to fork over the cost of a premium massage gun for back pain, you can start with a more affordable model that’s designed for those on a budget. The best way to know whether a massage gun will be worth it for you is to read reviews — and check the return policy. Many companies offer money-back guarantees, so if you don’t love it, you have nothing to lose.
Are cheap massage guns any good?
As we said above, some of the best massage guns for back pain are perfect for people watching their pennies. That said, if you want a massage therapy gun that will last for a long time and give you the most bang for your buck, you may want to consider investing in a more expensive model. One way to think about it is to consider how much you would spend on a professional massage, and how many times a year you would get one if you could. Do the math, then compare that with the cost the best massage therapy gun for back pain.
8 Different Types of Massage Gun Heads and their Uses Explained
A round head is suitable to target the pectoral muscle, shoulder, and neck. Also good for massaging abdomen, waist, buttocks, legs. Use is before or after a workout session for warmup and relaxation.
A flat head is suitable for full body massage, especially the large and flat area for a deeper massage. Hips, legs, abdomen, chest are the areas where the flat head is useful.
U SHAPED HEAD/SPINAL HEAD
It is ideal for both side of spinal cord. Do not directly hit the cervical spine, it could cause injury.
Good for relieving muscle stiffness and targeted massage. Also, suitable for deep tissue,joints, trigger points, soles of feet, palms, Achilles tendons and rhomboid muscles of back.
RUBBLE GAS HEAD/Wedge Head
Suitable for soft parts of body. Good for shoulders and back.
It is great for some soft parts of the body like abdominal and whole buttock muscle groups.
OCTOPUS SHAPE HEAD
Octopus shape head helps in massaging the biceps and calf muscles. Also, suitable for feet.
Best of foot massage.
Percussion Massage Gun Benefits
In the last few months, athletes are using percussion massage guns to heal sore and stressed muscles after a hard running session. It has become an essential tool for quick recovery and warm-up. That is because a massage gun heals the muscle group much faster than other healing techniques like foam rolling. Some of its benefits include:
Speedy Recovery- A percussion massage gun works on percussion therapy which helps in the speedy recovery of stressed muscles. It is very effective and gives you the desired outcome in less time and that too without much discomfort.
Quick Warm Up– Massage Guns are highly effective for warp up too. You can increase the range of motion of the muscle you want to stretch after applying the massage gun to it.
The benefit is that it helps you stretch better providing a large range of motion. The effect is deeper in the tissues and that too in very less time.
Improves performance– The percussion therapy provides deeper and intensive healing to the inflamed muscles. Thus, the pain is treated from the core. This improves flexibility and range of motion. Which boosts the overall performance of the body.
Activate muscle group- Does your job involves sitting for long hours? Do you feel tired and lack vigor after a full day of work? Give your dormant and stiff muscles a quick recovery by applying a massage gun to those muscle groups. It will help you regain energy and motion in very little time. Believe me, it is effective.
Relieve muscle soreness and stiffness– The percussion therapy hits deeper into your body. Thus it hits the cell nucleus ( chromatin). The regular motion cause cell stimulation as a result of which the blood circulation increases. Increased blood flow carries fresh oxygen and nutrients needed to heal sore and stiff muscles.
How to buy the best percussion massage gun in India? Things you need to look for in Massage Gun -Buying Guide.
To help you buy the best massage gun in India, I am listing down some important factors to consider. These are very important to make a right choice.
Using a massage gun which produces too much noise may be an embarrassing experience, especially when you use it in the gym. It can also disturb others. For a coach or trainer, it will be difficult to talk as to his students as much noise is irritating.
Always choose a massage gun with low noise for super quiet massage experience.
Next very important factor is battery life. Many brands have tall claims regarding the battery life. However in practical a massage gun is able to provide you about 2 hrs or battery life.
Also look for the battery capacity. Most of the percussion massagers come with 2400/2500 mah of battery capacity. Some even have 5400 mah battery. More capacity means more running time.
Another important thing is the time a cordless massager takes to charge. Look for a massage gun that does not take too much time to be fully charged.
It is important to know the weight to the handheld percussion massager beforehand. During the self full body massage you will be holding it massaging the body parts. So it should be lightweight and convenient to hold.
If you are buying for elderly people at home please check the weight of the massage gun.
Nobody wants a massage gun that does not last long or that malfunctions during the usage. So make sure you buy a reliable massage gun that is coming from the best brands of massage guns.
You can also check whether the seller is supportive or not. In case there a defect or the device stops working. A quick replacement in such cases is always appreciated.
5. Massage Heads
Depending upon your usage see if the massage heads with the massage gun are sufficient. Some massage guns are available in 4, 6, and 8 massage heads. For example if you want to target large muscle groups you will need a round head or a flat head massage head. Similarly, for spinal cord you will need U shaped massage head.
Before you go!
We’re in the same boat as you, after sitting at a desk all day we could definitely use some muscle relief from a vibration therapy massage gun! Convenient, quick, and surprisingly quiet, a handheld massage gun will sort out those aches and pains in no time.
If the thought of working at a desk all day just doesn’t appeal to you anymore, then why not become a personal trainer? Check out our personal training packages here or download our latest course prospectus to find out how you can get out of the office for good!
Which Percussion Massager Is Best for Me?
The best percussion massager for you depends on a lot of variables. If you regularly train hard or want a massager that can stand up to daily use, the Theragun G4 PRO is the best massage gun on the market.
If you’re looking just to try it out, the $198 VYBE Pro Percussion Massage Gun Pro may be right up your alley.
When Should I Use a Percussion Massager?
A percussion massager is an incredibly versatile tool. Use it when you wake up with a sore neck because of a rough night’s sleep, after a big training session, or as a daily part of your self-care routine.
Which Massage Gun Attachment Should I Use?
When getting into percussive and vibration therapy, a cushioned head is often suggested as the first attachment to use. It offers a lot of forgiveness and doesn’t penetrate too deeply too quickly.
From there, you can move onto a round head for a deeper massage. More pointed attachments work well for targeting very specific knots.